By Helen Cross | December 14, 2010
Any true eco enthusiast should make Costa Rica the top of their travel wish list. One of the most ‘green’ countries in the world, Costa Rica has unparalleled eco credentials and is doing the upmost to protects its ‘rich coast’. This is a country that:
- Was named the best country for eco-tours in Treehuggers ‘Best of Green’.
- Is ranked 3rd in the world in the 2010 Environmental Protection Index
- Aims to become the first carbon neutral country by 2021
- Is ranked 1st in the Happy Planet Index.
- Contains 5% of the world’s biodiversity
- Has 25% of its land protected in National Parks
However, as with anything that makes money, the term ‘eco’ can be subject to abuse and has been used to justify charging inflated prices for underwhelming experiences. $50 eco walk anyone?! Here are the crème-de-la- crème of environmentally conscious activities in the country:
Ziplining and sky walks
The best way to get up close to the cloud forests of Costa Rica; ziplining provides an adrenaline fuelled trip through the canopy for those who wish to fly through the trees a la Tarzan whereas sky walks provide a more sedate experience from bridges suspended at dizzying heights.